The Auxiliary assists Parkland Health Center by facilitating projects that help with patient care. It also offers volunteers from the community the opportunity to offer their time, making the patient experience more personal.
At Parkland Farmington auxiliary volunteers operate the gift shop, staff the customer service desk in the main lobby, escort patients to their medical procedures, serve as patient advocates, deliver flowers and mail, assist with special events and projects, and volunteer in clerical roles. In addition, auxiliary volunteers have delivered meals to homebound patients through Parkland’s Meals-on-Wheels for Special Diets program.
At Parkland Bonne Terre auxiliary volunteers operate the gift shop, staff the customer service desk, and assist in making patients more comfortable.
How to Volunteer
Fill out an application online or download the application, complete it and fax to 573.760.8188. You will be contacted to schedule an interview. For more information, call, 573.760.8188, or stop by the Human Resources office at Parkland Farmington. Get a campus map here >>
- About 85 auxiliary volunteers routinely put in 10,500 hours annually at the Hospitals
- Auxiliary financial contributions have funded:
- Two patient shuttles, including the current 13 passenger bus
- Medical equipment, including X-ray, emergency equipment, EKG, Doppler and incubator
- Meals on Wheels for Special Diets
Meals on Wheels for Special Diets
Formed in 1979, Meals on Wheels for Special Diets provides meals to home-bound patients. About 25 volunteers serve on a rotational team delivering 40 meals every weekday. A physician must order their special diet, and each meal is prepared by the Hospital’s dietary department. Volunteers provide much more than a nutritious meal to the patients. For some patients, the volunteer is the only person he or she will see during the day, so it’s an important connection socially and emotionally. Volunteers may also help patients with mailing a letter or bringing in the paper. It’s reassuring for patient families to know that someone is checking on their loved one every day.
Parkland Health Center was formed in 1992 as a result of the merger of two formerly independent community hospitals in St. Francois County -- Bonne Terre Hospital, which opened to the public in 1911, and Farmington Community Hospital, which opened in 1969.
The Bonne Terre Hospital Auxiliary was originally formed as the Gray Ladies Organization in 1959. In 1964 the Candy Stripers program was founded, with interested teenage girls contributing hours of service to the hospital. The Bonne Terre Hospital Auxiliary was formed in 1969 with Mrs. Stanley Jones, Mrs. Fred Fuhrmeister, Mrs. Larry Casteel, Mrs. Blanche Caviness and Mrs. Medley Bryar as officers.
The Farmington Community Hospital Auxiliary was formed when the Hospital opened in 1969 and continues to be a vital department, contributing hundreds of thousands of dollars for special projects and thousands of hours of volunteer service. In 1979 the Hospital began the Meals on Wheels for Special Diets program which continues today.