Our primary goal is to keep our patients, families and community safe. As COVID-19 cases continue to rise in St. Francois County, and for the health and safety of our patients, we are prohibiting in-person visitors at Parkland Health Center and at all BJC Medical Group Offices in St. Francois County beginning Friday, August 21. Some exceptions are outlined below.
Some EXCEPTIONS are:
- Obstetrics patients – 1 visitor
- Patients who are at end of life – 2 visitors at a time
- Pediatric patients – 2 visitors for inpatient; 1 visitor in the Emergency Department, one visitor for BJC Medical Group office visits
- Outpatient Surgery/Procedure - 1 designated visitor in the waiting room
- Patients with behavioral health, developmental delays, physical dependencies or altered mental status, for whom a caregiver is integral to care or safety – 1 visitor
Visitors who meet the exceptions will be screened, and denied entry if they meet any of these criteria:
- They have signs or symptoms of acute illness (fever, cough, difficulty breathing, sudden loss of taste and/or smell, sore throat, body aches, diarrhea or vomiting).
- They have had recent contact (within the last 14 days) with someone suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19.
- Children younger than age 16 will not be permitted except under extraordinary circumstances.
These same exceptions apply when visiting patients who are suspected of or confirmed to have COVID-19.
Approved visitors must
- Be designated to the patient (same visitor throughout the day) except in cases of end of life.
- Remain in the patient’s room for the duration of the visit, with temporary exceptions to visit the cafeteria or restroom, provided they return directly to the patient’s room.
- Wash hands upon entry to the patient’s room or other patient care areas.
- Immediately notify the care team if symptoms of illness develop.
- Comply with masking policy.
Patients are encouraged to have Virtual Visitors through phone calls, FaceTime and other virtual methods. In cases where patients are unable to do so on their own, the care team will help facilitate virtual visits through the BJC Virtual Visitor Program.