Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web
Go

Our First 100 Years

 

The Beginning -- Bonne Terre Hospital and St. Joseph Lead Company 
Farmington Community Hospital 
Two Locations Today 
Bonne Terre Hospital Historical Tidbits 
Quotes from News Releases and Articles 
Numbers and Statistics 
Superintendents and Administrators 
Board Members and Medical Staff
Farmington Community Hospital Historical Facts 

Parkland Health Center was formed in 1991 as a result of the merger of two formerly independent community hospitals in St. Francois County -- Bonne Terre Hospital and Farmington Community Hospital. Both hospitals have a fascinating history as they developed to meet the growing needs of St. Francois and surrounding counties. 

The Beginning -- Bonne Terre Hospital and St. Joseph Lead Company 
The history of Bonne Terre and its Hospital is deeply intertwined with St. Joseph Lead Company. The company was founded in 1865 and grew to become the largest lead mining operation in the world. 

By 1883, St. Joseph Lead Company saw a need to expand its on-site infirmary into a hospital. This hospital was originally housed in a rented building in East Bonne Terre, and the hospital was only for the use of the company’s personnel. At that time, single employees were required to pay 50 cents per month for health care and married employees paid $1. In 1894 the hospital was moved to new quarters on Allen Street in Bonne Terre. It is interesting to note that this new facility included the modern convenience of electric lights. 

In 1910, St. Joseph Lead Company bought a large plot of land near the Bonne Terre Lake and built and equipped a new hospital at a cost of $75,000. The former hospital building was also moved to that property and converted into a cottage for the nurses. 

100 Years Ago 
On June 20, 1911 the Bonne Terre Hospital Association was chartered as a non-profit hospital by a group of civic leaders. The hospital opened its doors to the public for the first time on July 23, 1911, and admitted its first patient one week later. Prior to this time, the hospital had only served St. Joe employees. Bonne Terre Hospital became the first hospital in southeast Missouri and for many years was the only hospital between Cape Girardeau and St. Louis. 

An extensive addition was built onto the original structure in 1926, nearly doubling the available patient space. By 1930 the Hospital had grown to include 32 beds, a modern nursery with five bassinets and an operating room that was a showcase of modern medical technology. To accommodate a growing population, a second addition was built in 1950 and the older section was entirely renovated. This brought the capacity of the hospital to 20 maternity beds and 57 general beds, 4 emergency beds, 21 bassinets, 3 incubators, 2 operating rooms, 2 emergency treatment rooms, 2 delivery rooms, 1 labor room, 2 nurseries, 1 isolation nursery, 1 formula room, 1 laboratory, 1 central supply, 1 X-ray room, 1 physical therapy room and 1 cast room. There were 18 physicians on staff at that time. 

Bonne Terre Hospital was first accredited by the American College of Surgeons, now known as the Joint Commission on Accreditation, in 1946 and has maintained that accreditation ever since. 

Hospital Becomes Independent of St. Joe 
In 1963 St. Joseph Lead Company turned the operation of the Bonne Terre Hospital over entirely to the community and the board of directors. Until that time, St. Joseph Lead Company underwrote the hospital’s annual deficit. A Bonne Terre Register article from c.1963 stated, “It is a fact that the St. Joseph Lead Company has contributed more than a million and a half dollars to the Bonne Terre Hospital and untold thousands more in materials and employee services. Fortunately, in recent years, the Hospital has been self-supporting and has not had any annual operating deficit.” With this change, the Hospital became independent of the company for the first time. It was described as a general medical/surgical hospital and operated on a non-profit basis. The following four new directors from the community were elected on September 3, 1963 to replace the board positions previously occupied by St. Joseph Lead Company representatives: Jesse Howell of Elvins, Phillip Pardon of Flat River, Taylor Smith, Jr. of Farmington and Medley Bryar of Bonne Terre. 

After a massive fund drive conducted by fundraising chairman Paul G. Williams, Jr. and Board president Elmer A. Jones, a new addition was opened in 1968. This added an intensive care unit with ten beds, each with cardiac monitoring, a remodeled obstetrical department, a new central sterile supply department, a new post-op recovery room, a new kitchen and dining room, enlarged laboratory, new waiting room, new chapel, new administrative area and offices, and partitions that converted patient rooms into private accommodations. 

Bonne Terre Hospital Auxiliary Is Founded 
Bonne Terre’s auxiliary was originally formed as the Gray Ladies Organization in 1959. In 1964 the Candy Stripers program was founded, with many interested teenage girls contributing hours of service to the Hospital. The Bonne Terre Hospital Auxiliary was formed in 1969 with Mrs. Stanley Jones, Mrs. Fred Fuhrmeister, Mrs. Larry Casteel, Mrs. Blance Caviness, and Mrs. Medley Bryar as officers. This organization has continued to the present day. 

Top

Farmington Community Hospital 
Around this time in St. Francois County history, a group of local physicians and community leaders began dreaming of starting a hospital in the southern part of St. Francois County. Discussions began taking place as early as 1962 and this led to forming a Farmington Chamber of Commerce “Hospital Committee” which was chaired by Stuart Landrum. In 1964, Farmington Community Hospital, Inc., a not-for-profit corporation, was formed. After much groundwork and planning, part of the Harrington farm was purchased, ground was broken in December 1967 and Farmington Community Hospital opened its doors as an 81-bed hospital in April 1969 at 1101 West Liberty, the current location for Parkland Health Center-Farmington. 

To help fund the construction of the Hospital, citizens from the community purchased ten and twenty year debentures, or bonds, and many gave donations and memorials. The sale of the debentures was headed up by long-time resident Albert Karsch. Some Hospital rooms were partially to totally furnished by families in the community. 

The Hospital was fully accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals in 1971. Several years later, the facility was expanded to a capacity of 108 beds. In 1978 another expansion brought much needed space and parking, and increased the capacity to 130 beds. 

Farmington Community Hospital Auxiliary 
The Farmington Community Hospital Auxiliary was formed when the hospital opened and continues to be a vital part of the hospital today, having contributed many thousands of dollars for special projects and thousands of hours of volunteer service to the Hospital. In 1979 the Hospital began the Meals on Wheels program which continues today. 

Parkland Health Center’s Inception 
In 1984 Bonne Terre Hospital became affiliated with Christian Health Services Corporation in St. Louis, and then in 1992, Bonne Terre Hospital merged with Farmington Community Medical Center (formerly called Farmington Community Hospital) to become Parkland Health Center. The following year, Christian Health Services, Barnes Hospital and Jewish Hospital announced the merger of their operations and the new entity became known as the BJC Health System -- now BJC HealthCare. Parkland Health Center continues to the present day as part of BJC Healthcare. 

Parkland Health Center immediately started an extensive building program in Bonne Terre and Farmington, and on July 21, 1995 opened a new $4 million facility on Vo-Tech Road (now called Raider Road) in Bonne Terre, just off highway 67. 

In recent years, Parkland Health Center has met the needs of the growing community by expanding facilities and services at the Farmington location, including the addition of a four-story medical office building adjacent to the hospital in 1995, renovation of the OB department in 2004, and in 2008-2009, Parkland invested $14.2 million in the addition of six new private OB rooms and a new Emergency Department facility. 

Top

Two Locations Today 
Parkland Health Center -- Bonne Terre Today -- 100 years later 
Today Parkland Health Center -- Bonne Terre is a three-bed, critical access hospital that provides 24-hour emergency, lab and radiology, including CT, as well as oncology/hematology services, an infusion center and a sleep disorder center. It also includes offices for BJC HealthCare specialists in the areas of pediatric cardiology, ENT, gastroenterology and orthopedics. Physical and occupational therapy services, including aquatic therapy, are offered nearby at the Well Life Center in Bonne Terre. 

Parkland Health Center -- Farmington Today – 100 years later
Parkland Health Center -- Farmington has grown into a 130-bed, full service Hospital. It provides 24-hour physician-staffed emergency services as well as services for maternity, pediatrics, inpatient and outpatient surgery, diagnostic radiology, ultrasound, digital mammography, nuclear medicine, CT scan, MRI, breast MRI, PET/CT, bone densitometry, echocardiography, special procedures including angiography, cardio-pulmonary, laboratory, retail pharmacy, extended care for those over 55 who require psychiatric care, older adult wellness programs, a board certified diabetic care center, wound care center with hyperbaric chamber, inpatient and outpatient physical, occupational, lymphedema and speech/dysphasia therapy, out-patient aquatic therapy, cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation, home health care and hospice services. 

In 2010, Parkland Health Center had 3,820 in-patient visits and 92,184 out-patient visits, 657 births, plus an additional 35,091 emergency room patients at both locations combined. As of 2010, Parkland has 631 employees, including 139 physicians representing twenty-two specialties, with a total payroll and benefits of $27,596,650. 

Parkland Health Center is extremely involved in the community, assisting with a number of community events, and having an active presence in local chambers of commerce. Parkland also hosts several large annual educational events including Seeds of Wisdom, a health event for women and Senior Health and Fitness which is geared toward older adults. 

Top

Bonne Terre Hospital Historical Tidbits 
List of Firsts

  • First hospital in southeast Missouri and the first to be accredited by JCAHO
  • First hospital between St. Louis and Memphis to have a board-certified surgeon on staff
  • Area’s first poison control center
  • First area hospital to have a nurses’ training program
  • First to have LPNs state-qualified to perform routine intravenous procedures
  • Area’s first outpatient hemodialysis unit (1987)
  • First area healthcare facility to offer primary healthcare on a full time basis

First Hospital Location 
From a 1964 Bonne Terre Register article -- referring to St. Joseph Lead Company’s new location for its company infirmary in 1883
"Feeling the need for more adequate facilities, the St. Joseph Lead Company rented a place far enough away from the noise of the mill and the smoke and dust of the calcines and smelters which were operating at Bonne Terre then. This plot of ground was on the Pen Diggings tract. The exact location was where Rotarian Frank McDowell operates his St. Francois County Farm Supply Store. It was a year later that the company purchased the Pen Diggings tract for the large amount of timber on the property for use in their operations. Later, this tract proved to have large deposits of galena ore which nearly doubled the tonnage of the Bonne Terre Mill.” 

Second Hospital Location 
From same article and referring to the 1894 location of the company infirmary

“Sometime in the middle or late 1890s a more modern and convenient hospital was built across from where the present main office now stands. It was located on the lot next to 213 East School Street, where Mr. Charles Barker lived some years later. This building served its purpose admirably and contained several features not in the East Bonne Terre Hospital. One of these from the newly installed electric light machine installed in the Bonne Terre Mill furnished electric lights.” 

Third Hospital Location 
In 1910, St. Joseph Lead Company bought a large plot of land near the Bonne Terre Lake and built and equipped a new hospital at a cost of $75,000. The former hospital building was also moved to that property and converted into a cottage for the nurses. 

From same article and referring to this third location
“The period from 1910 to about 1915 was one of great prosperity and expansion. The new office building and fine store, recreation and YMCA buildings were erected. Many fine homes came into existence for the use of the company staff. The general public joined in the building rush. The towns of the Lead Belt south of Bonne Terre were growing at a very substantial rate. Late in 1910, there were some fifteen or sixteen physicians practicing medicine in the district without adequate hospital facilities for their patients. Mr. Roscoe Parsons had succeeded his father as resident director of the St. Joseph Lead Company and was the moving light in many civic activities. It was he with Mr. Robert Sellors, Mr. F.H. Dearing and Mr. O.M. Bilharz who signed a petition for a non-profit and independent charter to organize, build and maintain a hospital in Bonne Terre. The Charter was issued on June 20, 1911.” 

Interesting Facts from the Early Years 
The first baby born at Bonne Terre Hospital was born Nov. 8, 1911 to Dr. and Mrs. H.P. Poston. Dr. Poston was the Surgeon in Charge (a position now called Chief of Staff) of the founding board and medical staff of Bonne Terre Hospital. 

In 1912, Dr. Harry Poston was authorized to purchase the first X-ray equipment for the Hospital. 

1917 rates: 
Private room -- $14.50 per week 
Major surgery -- $10 
Minor surgery fee -- $5 
Special Duty Nurse -- $1 daily 
Superintendent of Nurses’ salary -- $60 monthly, plus room, board and laundry -- her duties were purchasing, planning the meals, overseeing housekeeping, and being in charge of all Hospital employees 

In 1917 the superintendent was authorized to construct a cow shed and hen house at a cost of $140 

Interesting Early Hospital Rules

  • Charity patients must help one another as their condition permits
  • Profane language and immoral concepts will cause a patient’s bed to be forfeited
  • There must be perfect silence in the wards during the doctors’ professional rounds
  • A patient was liable to discharge if anyone brought him wine or food
  • No chronic or incurable diseases, infectious or communicable diseases or persons with mental aberrations or alcoholic manias were to be admitted

Nursing School 
There was a nursing school at the Hospital from 1911 to 1914, with nurses sent to St. Louis Maternity Hospital for three months training in obstetrics and training in dietetics. A second school of nursing was held in the former nurses’ cottage, with the first class of fifteen graduating on August 9, 1963. This was part of the Lead Belt Vocational School Program and was sponsored by Bonne Terre Hospital, Mineral Area Hospital and Madison County Memorial Hospital. The school was managed by Mr. Ed Ralston. 

Bonne Terre Hospital was first accredited by the Joint Commission of Hospital Accreditation in 1946 and it has maintained this accreditation ever since. 

Names from 1950 
Anna Belle Murphy, superintendent of nurses, retired after over 27 years of service, with Marian Falk moving from assistant superintendent of nurses into the superintendent position. Maude Schull moved from supervisor of the obstetrical department to become assistant superintendent of nurses, and Cathra Stroup was appointed as supervisor of the obstetrical department. 

Tornado of 1957 
The Bonne Terre Hospital medical staff immediately put into effect their disaster plan for the treatment of mass casualties when a tornado struck the Desloge-Cantwell area on May 21, 1957, and the community pitched in to help. Having previously felt secure with three different sources of electricity to power the Hospital, the Hospital did not have an auxiliary generator. All three power sources were knocked out by the tornado. Industries immediately sent portable generators and volunteers got them into operation to help power the Hospital. Volunteers brought gasoline lanterns, lamps, battery powered mine lamps and flash lights. Others brought or sent cots and beds. Hospital staff reported for duty and helped care for patients, prepare food, assume clerical duties, and maintain communications within the Hospital as well as with the local police. The Highway Patrol helped with traffic control, communications and delivering blood and plasma. Verlon Boyer and other area morticians used their hearses to transport the wounded, and volunteers helped move patients from ambulances and hearses and from the emergency treatment area to the shock ward and other rooms. Oddly enough, the first patient to arrive at the hospital following the tornado was a woman about to give birth. 

1959 -- Bonne Terre Hospital became a cooperating substation of the Washington University School of Medicine Eye bank program. 

November 8, 1961 -– Bonne Terre Hospital’s Fiftieth Anniversary baby was born to Betty and Walter Barnes of Flat River, and named Deborah Ann. She was delivered by Dr. Paul Dennis. By 1961, the Bonne Terre Hospital had delivered 13,419 babies, and the obstetrical department had 16 adult beds, two delivery rooms, a formula room and three nurseries containing 16 bassinets and four incubators. 

Top

Quotes from News Releases and Articles 
July 20, 1961 -- Bonne Terre Register (referring to 1911-12) 

“A kitchen garden on the Hospital grounds, a cow kept in a cowshed with the superintendent’s car and a few hogs, provided meat, milk and fresh vegetables for the patients. In 1912 the walks, roads and entrance gates on the hospital grounds were completed and the House and Grounds Committee issued a plea to Hospital employees that the gates be kept closed to keep stray livestock off the grounds. In 1961, half a century later, food is ordered by case lots from wholesale food companies and the fences and gates have been removed to make way for paved driveways, parking areas, and expanding building projects.” 

From same article
“The Hospital Junior Nurses’ Aide Program provides training during the summer months for high school girls in the area who are interested in a nursing career.” 

January 27, 1956 -- (referring to 1955)
“3,857 patients were admitted to the Hospital, including 849 newborns. A total of 320 major and 768 minor operations were performed, 4,548 X-ray examinations were made and 10,236 tests were made in the laboratory; 620 electrocardiograms were made and there were 187 basal metabolism tests. There were also 518 treatments of radio short wave heat, violet ray, ultra-sonic, and whirlpool water baths.” 

November 6, 1958
“At the regular monthly meeting held at Bonne Terre Hospital on October 23, 1958, the St. Francois County Pharmaceutical Association formally presented the Bonne Terre Hospital with a Poison Control Cabinet complete with 95 antidotes and two reference books on toxicology. The Hospital will establish a Poison Control Center to be used by our doctors and trained personnel. This will be the only Poison Control Center between St. Louis and Cape Girardeau. The members of the Pharmaceutical Association would like to thank their president, Mr. Henry Carrow, for his leadership in obtaining this Poison Control Cabinet for presentation to the Bonne Terre Hospital.” 

1963 -- Bonne Terre Register
A group of the Red Cross Ladies volunteer their time to spend many hours with patients, reading to them, writing letters for them, teaching handicraft skills to while away the time or just visiting with lonely patients. These ladies are not amateurs for they attend training sessions by the Red Cross. Their cart loaded with books, magazines, games and toys is a familiar sight in the corridors of the hospital. 

Top

Numbers and Statistics 
Number of annual admissions and births: 

1911 -- 197 admissions, 1 birth 
1961 -- 4,990 admissions, 725 births, 5,128 out-patient visits, 1,465 operations 
Total during first 50 years -- 75,674 patients, 13,419 births 
2010 -- 3,820 inpatient visits, 92,184 out-patient visits, 35,091 emergency patients, 657 births 

Number of doctors on staff: 
1911 – 8 
1961 -- 17 active, 10 “courtesy staff doctors” and 7 dentists 
1986 – 59 
2011 -- 151 

Bonne Terre Hospital Building on Lake Drive Becomes St. Joe Manor 
Parkland Health Center built and opened its new Bonne Terre facility on Raider Road in 1995. The building that served as Bonne Terre Hospital from 1911 until 1992 was purchased and renovated by Sharo Shirshekan and opened in November of 1999 as a nursing care facility called St. Joe Manor. Still across from the Bonne Terre Lake and surrounded by the spacious grounds purchased 100 years ago by St. Joseph Lead Company for the purpose of building its hospital, St. Joe Manor offers 74 assisted living beds, 119 skilled nursing care beds and 49 private beds in a wing for Alzheimer’s and dementia patients. 

Top

Superintendents and Administrators 
Superintendents of Bonne Terre Hospital 
Miss Myrtle Burford (1911) 
Miss Ogdon (1912) 
Miss Fannie McCleod (1913) 
Miss Hannah (Interim) 
Miss Brock (1916) 
Miss Mable Alexander (1916, acting superintendent) 
Miss C. Borcherding (1916 - ?) 
Miss Mary Small (dates not certain) 
Miss Anna Belle Murphy (1923-1950) 

Administrators of Bonne Terre Hospital, Farmington Community Hospital and Parkland Health Center 
Bonne Terre Hospital 

William J. Gnadt (1951-1974 -- deceased December 16, 1974 while serving as administrator 
Forrest Craig -- assistant administrator and then acting administrator following Mr. Gnadt’s death 
Ray Mullins (1975-1977) 
Charles Roberts (1978-1984) 
Tom Walthers (1984-1986) 
Dan Gantz (1987-1992) 

Farmington Community Hospital 
Joe Durham (1969-70) 
Gene Lockridge (interim administrator, 1970) 
William “Bill” Blair (1970-1992 -- administrator of Farmington Community Hospital until merger in 1992, and then first administrator of Parkland Health Center until retirement) 

Parkland Health Center 
William “Bill” Blair (1992-1996) 
Rick Conklin (1996 -2008) 
Tom Karl (2008-present) 

Parkland Health Center-Bonne Terre 
Carol Coulter, administrative director (1992-2002) administrator (2003-present) 

Top

Board Members and Medical Staff 
Board Members and Medical Staff (1911-1915) 
Founding Board of Directors and Officers of Bonne Terre Hospital Association (1911) 
Roscoe R.S. Parsons, president (deceased in 1915 during his tenure as president) 
O.M. Bilharz, vice-president 
Robert Sellors, secretary 
F.H. Dearing, treasurer (deceased in 1935 or 1936 during his tenure on the board) 
Dr. Harry P. Poston, surgeon in charge 
G.S. Parsons 
F.J. Thomure 
Miss Myrtle Burford, superintendent 

Minutes from February 12, 1912: "On motion it was unanimously carried ‘that the medical gentlemen who had expressed their willingness to become members of the Medical Staff of the Hospital, be elected to membership thereon, and that the Secretary notify them of their election." The following names were thus added to the staff viz: 
Dr. C.P.Poston 
Dr. A.L. Evans 
Dr. R. Appleberry 
Dr. F.L. Keith 
Dr. G.B. Williams 
Dr. O.A. Smith 
Dr. J.S. Donnell 
Dr. E.T. Brand 
Dr. R.B. Downing 

Additional research shows these doctors on the staff (1912) 
Dr. J.B. Robinson 
C.R. Fleming 
W.C. Reece 
N.R. Donnell 
F.L. Long 
A. Lucky 

Board Members and Medical Staff (1936 -- 25th Anniversary) 
Board Members, 1936: 
C.H. Barker 
V.M. Johnston 
A.C. Malone 
L.T. Sicka 
Parkhurst Sleeth 
Dr. D.E. Smith 

Note: Documentation of the medical staff names in 1936 was not found, but records show the following near that time frame. 

Active Medical Staff (1931) 
Dr. C. Homer Appleberry, Rivermines 
Dr. D. Appleberry, Rivermines 
Dr. R. Appleberry, Farmington 
Dr. W.F. Aubuchon, Leadwood 
Dr. W.H. Barron, Fredericktown 
Dr. W.J. Bryan, Flat River 
Dr. W.P. Duckworth, Desloge 
Dr. A.L. Evans, Bonne Terre 
Dr. N.M. Fuller, Desloge 
Dr. H.C. Gaebe, Desloge 
Dr. N.W. Hawkins, Bonne Terre 
Dr. O.E. Hensley, Herculaneum 
Dr. P.L. Jones, Elvins 
Dr. R.C. Kitchell, Bismarck 
Dr. R.B. Lester, Desloge 
Dr. E.H. Matkin, Bonne Terre 
Dr. H.M. Roebber, Bonne Terre 
Dr. S.C. Slaughter, Fredericktown 
Dr. D.E. Smith, Bonne Terre 
Dr. O.E. Smith, Farmington 
Dr. V. Taylor, Leadwood 
Dr. G.L. Watkins, Farmington 
Dr. J.P. Yeargin, Irondale 

Added to the medical staff (1934) 
Dr. F.G. Creswell 

Added to the medical staff (1939) 
Dr. N.W. Hawkins, Bonne Terre 
Dr. Van W. Taylor, Bonne Terre 
Dr. F. Richard Crouch, Farmington 

Board Members and Medical Staff (1961 -- 50th Anniversary) 
Board Members (1961) 
F. M. Kleppsattel 
Elmer A. Jones 
Lawrence W. Casteel 
W. Oliver Rasch 
J.A. Thomure 

Active Medical Staff (1961) 
Dr. C.H. Appleberry, Flat River 
Dr. C.E. Carleton, Jr., Farmington 
Dr. C.W. Chastain, Farmington 
Dr. F.R. Crouch, Head, Dept. of Obstetrics, Farmington 
Dr. W. Paul Dennis, Flat River 
Dr. J.L. Foster, Desloge 
Dr. Marvin T. Haw, Bonne Terre 
Dr. R.A. Huckstep, Farmington 
Dr. J.W. Hunt, Leadwood 
Dr. A.G. Karraker, Farmington 
Dr. Jack Mullen, Head, Dept. of Internal Medicine, Bonne Terre 
Dr. George A. Oliver, Farmington 
Dr. H.M. Roebber, Bonne Terre 
Dr. Van W. Taylor, Head, Dept. of Surgery, Bonne Terre 
Dr. G. L. Watkins, Farmington 

Dental Staff 
Dr. C.H. Berry, Bonne Terre 
Dr. Paul D. Newman, Farmington 
Dr. F.E. Norwine, Flat River 
Dr. R.F. Paul, Bonne Terre 
Dr. J.W. Rhodes, Farmington 

Board Members and Medical Staff (1986 – 75th Anniversary) 
Board Members (1986) 
George Bangert 
Dr. C. W. Chastain 
Suzanne Kohn 
Mildred Lee 
Dr. Jack Mullen 
Frank Richardson 
William Robards 
Robert Thomas 
Paul G. Williams III 

Parkland Health Center Board Members and Medical Staff (2011 -- 100th Anniversary) 
Board Members (2011) 
Mary E. “Beth” Baker 
Richard L. Conklin 
Kevin L. Cook 
John R. Crouch 
Brett M. Dickinson, MD 
Edward H. DuMontier, MD 
Gary J. Grix, MD 
Steven R. Jones 
Thomas P. Karl 
Steven J. Kurtz 
Jill Mackay 
Catherine (Katie) Chastain Rhodes 
Larry Williams Skaggs 
Sandra Van Trease 
Pairat Vibulakaopun, MD 
Joyce F. Wood, Chair 

Active Medical Staff (2011) 
Maria P. Ambalong, MD 
Sujatha R. Ayyagar, MD 
Raul A. Borrego, MD 
Danielle N. Carron, MD 
Nilima P. Chand, MD 
Sunil G. Chand, MD 
Fernando J. deCastro, MD 
Abegaile Santiago Denison, MD 
Andrew J. Denison, MD 
Brett M. Dickinson, MD 
Edward H. DuMontier, MD 
Brian J. Gallagher, DO 
George M. Gasser III, DO 
John J. Grechus, MD 
John D. Griffin, MD 
Gary J. Grix, MD 
Sunil Gurung, MD 
Kimberly L. Hartel, MD 
William D. Johnson, DO 
Karl D. Killion, DO 
Scott D. Kirkley, MD 
Jeanne M. Kornhardt, MD 
Vikrant Mittal, MD 
Darlene A. Moore, MD 
Patrick W. O’Hara, MD 
Rustico A. Ramos, Jr., MD 
Sumia Rashid, MD 
Justin W. Roberts, DO 
Raad R. Roubey, MD 
Jamesy C. Smith, DO 
Jeffrey M. Swinarski, MD 
Scott A. VanNess, DO 
Pairat Vibulakaopun, MD 
Evan G. Williams, MD 
Jamal A. Zereik, MD 

Top

Farmington Community Hospital Historical Facts 
Original Board Members of Farmington Community Hospital Corporation, Inc. (1964) 
Stuart Landrum 
Robert Boswell 
Harry L. Denman 
Jack Hirsch 
Lacy B. Coghill 
J.B. Reinhart 
George A. Oliver, M.D. 

Founding Board Members of Farmington Community Hospital (1969) 
Stuart Landrum, president 
Robert A. Huckstep, MD 
Jack Hirsch 
Lacey B. Coghill 
David L. Colson 
Don R. Mell 
Vernon K. Giessing 
George A. Oliver, MD 
William “Bill” Blair – first administrator 

Active Medical Staff (from 1972 newspaper clipping) 
James A. Armantrout, DO 
Tom R. Burcham, MD 
Juan Cancelada, MD 
C.E. Carleton, MD 
William Chastain, MD 
F.R. Crouch, MD 
George W. Dent, MD 
R.A. Fraser, MD 
Robert A. Huckstep, MD 
Alvan G. Karraker, MD 
George A. Oliver, MD 
Kirby Turner, MD (associate) 
George L. Watkins, MD

Top 

Our First 100 Years

Parkland Health Center was formed in 1992 as a result of the merger of two formerly independent community hospitals in St. Francois County -- Bonne Terre Hospital and Farmington Community Hospital. Both hospitals have a fascinating history as they developed to meet the growing needs of St. Francois and surrounding counties. 

Download Our "Celebrating 100 Years" Booklet

Explore Our Photo Album

Our Patients and Their Families Share Their Stories 

Watch Our Video

Find a doctor or make an appointment:
573.431.3338 OR CALL TOLL-FREE 800.392.0936
General Information:
573.756.6451 OR CALL TOLL-FREE 800.734.3944
Copyright © 1997-2019. BJC HealthCare. All Rights Reserved.
Parkland Health Center -- Bonne Terre
7245 Raider Road | Bonne Terre, Missouri 63628
phone -- 573.358.1400
Parkland Health Center -- Farmington
1101 West Liberty Street | Farmington, Missouri 63640
phone -- 573.756.6451